How Green Was My Valley (1941)



Winner of 5 Oscars and nominated for 5 others. This film will forever be known as the one that beat Citizen Kane [8/10]. Not only Kane, but it also beat out Sergeant York [8/10] and my favorite of the list The Maltese Falcon. The simple fact is that in 1942 this was the better film, get over it film buffs but a working class drama was more popular than an Orson Welles drama.

I'm sure you can see from the bottom of this post that my 6/10 means that I would rank it fourth out of the four I've seen from that year. It was however a decent film. Maybe my 6/10 is a little harsh because I just gave a few other films a 6/10 that I didn't like as much, so if I gave 0.5 points than I would give this 6.5/10.

So the film really centers around the youngest brother of the Morgan family in a Welsh mining town. He watches as his brother grow up and leave the home, as the mine goes through a strike, and as his sister goes through marriage problems that the whole town whispers about.

The film is really not that bad, and I can easily say there are some much weaker best picture winners, this one is spoken about a lot simply for who it beat that year. If you are going to watch all the Best Picture winners, you won't be disappointed by this one.

Vote: 6/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033729/
Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật