The Cameraman (1928)

Over the last year it has become clear to me that I am a much bigger fan of Buster Keaton than Charlie Chaplin. To me, slapstick comedies are some of the only silent films worth watching. Chaplin has an element of drama to all of his comedies, his Tramp character is actually pretty pathetic. Keaton on the other hand uses acrobatics, crashes, and stunts which keep his films exciting throughout.

Watching this film it made me think that some of the writers for "The Simpsons" must have been Keaton fans as well. The storyline starts in one place, takes you on a wild tangent, brings you back, diverges again, then finally gets you back where you started.

I really didn't think this would be one of my favorites of his until about 1/2 way through. Some of this shorter films are much more eventful and lack a thought out story. This one however develops well, and is highly influential to some modern films I've seen. Namely the setup after the boat scene, how he wins the girl reminds me of a lot of romantic comedies.

This one is worth your time.

Vote: 8/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0018742/
Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật