Ponyo [on the Cliff]: Gake no ue no Ponyo (2009)

Shortened from its original title "Ponyo on the Cliff" to just "Ponyo" on US release. This was the film that got snubbed for an Oscar nomination. I'm a pretty big fan of the director Hayao Miyazaki and have already reviews one of his earlier films on this blog (here). So I was pretty curious to see what the hype was about.

Miyazaki specializes in Japanese Anime, a genre of film I never expected to ever watch. Honestly, I'm still not a big fan of the genre, but Miyazaki has always done a good job transcending beyond past simple kids fantasies and adding adult undertones and memorable plots. My favorite being Spirited Away.

However, like his last release (Howl's Moving Castle) I was not overly impressed with this film. The film is about a young boy who comes across, and befriends, a special goldfish with magical powers. The fantasy is fun at times, but becomes boring at parts. I was annoyed that the subtitles were incomplete, probably to cut out rhetoric that was unnecessary to the plot line to allow a younger audience to keep up. However it made me feel like I was missing some content. I'm sure versions of the film won't have this problem, and it has even been dubbed into English.

I'm not really all that suprised this got overlooked for a nomination. It really had no chance of winning and in a strong year it just fell short. Not my favorite.

Vote: 6/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0876563/
Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật