Encounters at the End of the World (2007)

A documentary about a trip to Antarctica, the use of the word "Encounters" both applies to the encounters with the various people in the city and the encounters with the sealife and wildlife.

There is a lot about this film which makes it seem like a long television show on the Discovery channel. There are many beautiful images when they are under the ice or at the volcanos, but this is what I look for when I watch National Geographic. The content I look for in a documentary, direction and purpose, was not developed enough.

The encounters with the people proved to be very interesting. The explaination of some of the people and how they came to find themselves in the middle of nowhere is interesting. I do not think you will find a church of any kind in this town, most of these scientists have all but abandoned humanity, are ultra-treehuggers, or sure the earth is doomed as we know it. I don't think I'm over speculating here, my best examples would be that the scientists spend their free time watching 1950's Sci-Fi movies about the earth being invaded or destroyed. Also, the shrine deep below the actual pole for aliens or future lifeforms to find the history of humans as we know them. This coupled with a complete lack of faith in humanity and constant talk about what the world will be like when humans are gone. This all makes me think you have to either be crazy to go here, or that going here makes you crazy.

The mix of National Geographic and Character studies kept this somewhat interesting, but I can't say I would recommend this film.

Vote: 6/10


IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093824/

Ebert Link (Note: this film was dedicated to Rober Ebert):
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080710/REVIEWS/807100305/1023

Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật

Blog Archive