District B13: Banlieue 13 (2004)

I'm a little hesitant to get behind another foreign action film given my recent track record. Schneider can't make a book that isn't 1/3 world cinema [even if English equivalent's are much better], so I was skeptical of this from the start.

I was more than pleasantly surprised. Maybe following a 1/10 film made this even all the more better, but I still think I could watch it again. As soon as it was over I went and found the sequel District 13: Ultimatum which came out recently. The film was written by Luc Besson so you have to give it a chance. This is the man that wrote La Femme Nikita, Leon: The Professional, The Fifth Element, The Transporter, and Taken to name a few...


Starring David Belle [Inventor of a discipline known as Parkour] and Cyril Raffaelli [stunt performer in a number of action films] as a resident and police officer in the ghettos of Paris. Set in the future, this district of Paris has been cut off from the rest of the country due to high crime rates. The two are tasked with diffusing a bomb that will decimate the district if they don't get it out of the gang lord's hands. A slightly unique script, honestly not much different than a number of action films, so I don't credit Besson's writing for making this worth watching. I credit Belle and Rafaelli because their fighting styles are just fun to watch. Belle jumps and swings from walls, poles, and anything he can get his hands on in a way that looks a lot more realistic than the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Asian style.

Yes it is French and subtitled, but there isn't a lot of dialogue, and it is worth checking out.

Vote: 8/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414852/
Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật