Five Easy Pieces (1970)

Hum... what to say about this one. Let me start by saying that my snap judgement of 5/10 might be a little harsh, but my desire to keep it in the "avoid" category remains. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Jack Nicholson as a person, and that probably affects how much I enjoy his films.

I had to do some reading on this film before I could write a review because I felt I missed some things. Not in the way of being distracted, or not paying attention, but in the way that you are watching something "deep" when unaware that you need to be keen to such. This film was made at a time where Nicholson was famous for films like Easy Rider and it was assumed that he couldn't be deep [we know this now after The Shining, As Good as It Gets, and About Schmidt]. So it was a breakthrough film for him at the time, nominated for 4 Oscars and on several critics top 100 lists.

The film is about oil-rig worker with a ditzy girlfriend that he treats like trash. When his father becomes ill he goes home and we find that he has abandoned his wealthy family. It is clear that his relationship with his father is strained to say the least, and that he resents the intellectual conversations that his mother likes to start up. On the surface this is a boring film about an indecisive asshole who cheats on ditzy girlfriend that he impregnated. It does make a compelling story as to why this guy has run away from everything and is the kind of person that he is.

I doubt many of my readers would care for this film, and I doubt I'll give it much thought again.

Vote: 5/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065724/
Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật