Fanny and Alexander (1982)

This film has been giving me writers block for about a week. It is hard to form an opinion on a film where I fail to understand so much. This is Ingmar Bergman's last feature length film and it was quite a challenge to get through.

The first is over 3 hours long and the first half starts on Christmas Eve and follows a wealthy family celebrating Christmas. They dance around the mansion, the kids go to bet, debauchery in sues. The 2nd half is almost a completely different story, the title characters Fanny and Alexander through difficult circumstances end up living with a mean stepfather than locks them in their room and treats them poorly.

The reason this has been so difficult to rate is that I don't know how to perceive the growing up in Sweden. Is this a typical Christmas that brings back fond memories? Like A Christmas Story to Americans? Is this supposed to be deep? I just don't get a lot of it, and it really just didn't interest me much. I have quite a bit of respect for Bergman so I still gave it a 6/10, but honestly without his name behind it, it might have been even lower. Fair? Probably not. Take it for what its worth.

Vote: 6/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083922/
Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật