The Hours (2002)


Trying to write a review on this film has given me writers block. I just don't know how to summarize a film that I was not looking forward to, didn't like, and don't want to write about. So this may contain spoilers since I just want to get through it and onto the 4-6 movie reviews that I am now behind on.

Nicole Kidman plays Virginia Wolf the author of a book "Mrs. Dalloway" which from what I can tell is semi-autobiographical as the book is about a homosexual woman who would rather commit suicide than go on living a lie. Julianne Moore plays Laura Brown in what looks like the 1950s, she is living the same lie and reading Mrs. Wolf's book. Meryl Streep plays a current woman dealing with the same issues.


The story is very depressing since it is a look at how different generations of women deal with this lie, the latter being more accepted and the suicide factor is the focus of the film.

As a straight male [accepting of this lifestyle] I did not feel moved by this film. I wasn't interested in it at all even while watching it, and if it wasn't for a GREAT performance by Ed Harris I would have given this a 4 or a 5. There are some supporting roles from Jeff Daniels and Claire Danes, two actors which have all but fallen off the face of the earth lately, both characters were good but nothing more.

Vote: 6/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0274558/

Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật