Frida (2002)

Salma Hayek plays Frida Kahlo a famous Mexican painter. The film starts with Frida as a teenager and follows her entire life. The entire film is in English, which was a big surprise to me as I was preparing for a Spanish film. Also, Hayek is the only actress to play Frida in the movie [e.g. there are early childhood scenes using a child actress].

The story was interesting, the acting was a little above average. There was quite a bit of nudity since her husband Diego (Alfred Molina, Doc Ock from Spider-Man 2) is a womanizer. Also Hayek herself has her love scenes.

There are some very interesting animated clips in this film, mainly when Frida is in a coma. These were the most interesting parts to me and for the most part out of the blue. Plus the few times we got to see some of her later artwork made me actually pause the movie to get a better look. I found most of the content that was centered around Diego was boring. There is a surprise appearance from Edward Norton, another small scene with Antonio Banderas, and she tangos with Ashley Judd at one point, so lots of stars.

I just don't see myself wanting to see this again, it wasn't very memorable, but it wasn't bad.

Vote: 7/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120679/
Share:

1 nhận xét:

  1. I've heard the biography about her is excellent. Her artwork is interesting in its own way but nothing I'd want. Am interested in seeing this from the little I've read about her life which I think wasn't a very happy one???

    Trả lờiXóa

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật