The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)

The thriller/horror category has a lot of sub-genres. So a list like the AFI 100 Thrills actually has some very mild, almost action films. Then it also has thrillers that branch into horror. This 1940's film is one of the latter.

The concept is simple and laid out for the audience in the opening scenes. Dorian is a handsome young man with loose morals, he says "I would sell my soul to have my painting age, and for me to stay the same." He gets his wish and we witness the effects.

Made under the Code in Hollywood we don't get the full explanation of what all he is involved in, so you have to use your imagination.

A cool effect is that the movie is in black and white, yet we get to see pictures of the painting in color. I'm not sure where they fit in with the firsts to use this effect, but it was pretty powerful.

Not my favorite on the Thrills list, and very hard to get my hands on, good but not great. I would suggest with reservations.

Vote: 7/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037988/
Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật