The Secret In Their Eyes: El secreto de sus ojos (2009)

For the 5th year in a row the Oscar for Foreign Language film has gone to a different film than the Golden Globe. Every time I think: "Darn now I have to watch more foreign language movies." The thing is, the Oscars... which tend to pick less audience friendly winners in categories like art direction and costume design, have been doing VERY well picking good foreign films lately.

It seemed like a two film race, The White Ribbon or A Prophet. It was a surprise, and one that I guessed right when this film won the award. Although I liked A Prophet more than this one, this one seems to appeal to a larger audience.

Ricardo Darín plays a retired legal counselor who decides to write a book about an unsolved case of his from his younger days. The movie jumps back and forth between writing the story and to him at an earlier age as the events unfolded. The acting is good, and the story is compelling. I found myself drawn into the movie so much that I forgot that I was reading subtitles. A feat not many foreign films can pull off.

Check this one out, it deserved the Oscar.

Vote: 8/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305806/
Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật