True Grit (2010)

Nominated for 10 Oscars and selected by many critics for their top 10 lists of the year. This western film based on the Charles Portis book is supposed to be more true to the book than the original film. To be honest I don't read a lot of books [I watch a lot of films], and I'm not going to read the book to get a comparison. In reality I could careless, if a director takes liberties to make the story more entertaining, that is fine with me.

I managed to watch the original the remake in the same day. Maybe this makes the comparison better or worse, I don't know. I would probably favor the first film regardless when doing a comparison so it can be hard. The bottom line with this film is the girl is the main character and makes or breaks the film. Kim Darby was fantastic in the original, and the Coen Brothers either lucked out, or are brilliant, in casting Hailee Steinfeld. She did the part justice.

There are some differences. Scenes between La Boeuf, Mattie Ross, and Marshall Cogburn definitely seem more realistic, and maybe just because I'm more familiar with Matt Damon, I liked him better than Glen Campbell. The thing that made this film only a 7/10 is how hard it was to understand Jeff Bridges. Why does Hollywood want to make all western stars look like the dirties, most unlikable people now? Kids wanted to be John Wayne, no kid wants to be Bridges. Sure I get it, it is probably a lot more realistic, but I want to at least be able to understand the dialogue. Last comparison: Most of the scenes took place during the day in the original film, they were all at night in this one. I'm not sure why this struck me as odd, maybe it is easier to make a set look realistic in the dark? Maybe the encounter late at night was more realistic...

I don't want to comment to much on the ending. If you haven't seen it yet, then skip this paragraph.Why did we need to go that far? Leave it a mystery! There is no reason to go revisit these characters, bad ending.


There haven't been many westerns in the last 20 years. So for what it is, I liked it a lot. I wouldn't watch it again, and wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

Vote: 7/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/
Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật