Restrepo (2010)

The third Oscar documentary nominee for me, honestly one that I would have skipped if it would have not been nominated. I'm tired of this type of film, and there were others that I was hoping and expecting to see nominated [Waiting for 'Superman' or The Lottery]. You can't judge a film without seeing it, so let's talk about it.

The film's slogan is "One platoon, one valley, one year," which is very fitting. We start on a plane, filming 4 soldiers being deployed to Afghanistan. They are getting drunk and having a good time, this is also the last time we see Private Restrepo alive. Early in the film he is killed when the platoon exchanges gunfire with the Taliban while working to secure a position in their valley. Considered to be a pivotal valley to control the move helps them take control and establish a new base. They name this base "Restrepo" after their fallen friend, and so we have the title of the movie.

The film is all about getting the feeling that you are right there with the troop. It is pretty incredible that they were able to film during actual warfare and you witness several people getting killed in the movie (not actually on film, but in the "scene" per se). I comment the documentary film makers for managing to tag along during all of this, but at the same time it was a pretty boring film overall. I almost dozed off at one point, and I really don't feel like I learned a single thing. Something I usually hope for in a movie.

It definitely has a following for winning the Oscar given the circumstances this was filmed under. I'll reserve my feeling about this winning for after I watch Inside Job.

Vote: 6/10

IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1559549/
Share:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét

Rip blogspot

Nổi Bật